Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Good morning and welcome to Tuesday! I’m glad so many of you are checking the blog every day. It’s so great to hear from you even if we can’t see you in person!

It looks like most of you are getting a good start on your assigned work this week. If you have any question about assignments, please send us a message by email, Teams, or the blog.

Today I thought I’d post a few critical thinking puzzles. Watch the video I made below. If you have a yes/no question, post it in the comments and I’ll respond as soon as I see it. If you think you know the answer, go ahead and and post it in the comments, but I won’t post the answers right away. After everyone has had a chance to see the puzzles, I’ll post the right answers on the blog.

Here are two puzzles from one of our books. Let’s call these Puzzle 1 and Puzzle 2.

Here’s one more just for fun! This is Puzzle 3.

Math puzzle
This puzzle was posted by @estherbrunat on Instagram.

Again, leave a comment with any questions or guesses!

Video of the day

Here’s a fun STEM activity I found. You probably have all these materials at your home!

Don’t forget to check in tomorrow to get a link to this week’s Flipgrid!

35 thoughts on “Tuesday, March 31, 2020

1. For number 2, was there no people because the trucks had something in it like oil.

2. The second one was able to preserved his energy, during his 5 minute brakes.

3. I’m getting some great questions so far today! Sam, your answer to #2 is very close…so close I don’t want to post it! But it’s not exactly correct!

For #3, I’ve gotten lots of different answers! I’ll post some of the numbers later in the day and we can see if we can nail it down for sure.

4. In number one is Tim too tired because he didn’t take any break so he cut less down.

1. No, that’s not quite it! They worked at the same rate, meaning they swung the axes at exactly the same speed. How could the one who took breaks cut down more trees?

5. Hi. For number 1 did the trees Joe cut down smaller than the ones Tim cut down?

6. For number 2, did the car drivers dive out of the car right before the crash?

7. Did Joe cut down thinner and smaller trees? #2 Were the cars self-driving cars?

1. Great questions! Assume the trees were all the same size. And no, the cars were not self-driving, although that’s also a good answer! I think this book is pretty old, before self-driving cars were invented.

1. Nope, they had the same equipment!

Your other comment answering #2 was correct, so I’m not posting it yet. Good job!

1. Amado—I edited your comment because your answer to #2 was right!

#1: No, not a chainsaw.

#3: I’ll post some number answers in a few minutes.

8. Here’s a mid-day update! I’m still getting lots of great questions.

For #3, I have gotten many different numbers! Here are the answers that have been submitted so far: 112, 100, 92, 62, 60, 48, 43, 30, 23. I’m not saying if any of these are right yet! Can you prove/disprove any of these?

1. Sam, I’m not an AR expert, but if you go to Mrs. Cote’s blog post from last Wednesday it look like she explains it there. Good luck!

9. Do you have to use Gems or Pemdas when doing critical thinking problem #3. My step dad says the answer is 48 but he didn’t use gems or pemdas. He says using pemdas or gems is silly.

1. When you’re ready, look at the slideshow on the April 1 post to get the answer. GEMS or PEMDAS always in math!